Distributed Sensing Field Engineer
Job Type: Permanent/Contractor basis
Location: Location: Elstree, London WD6
Reporting to the Field Service Manager, as a Distributed Sensing Field Engineer, you will be responsible for the following (but not limited to):
- Adhering to Company’s and clients’ HSE requirements and local legislation at all times and actively promote safe work practices
- Operating the iDAS and ULTIMA systems and maintaining up to date knowledge of lessons learned and other developments
- Operating Silixa’s proprietary software packages for data handling/processing and maintaining up to date knowledge of lessons learned and other developments
- Planning and execution of distributed sensing data acquisition, ensuring that a strict acquisition program is formulated and followed
- Post job finalisation of client deliverables consisting of processed data plots, digital data and end of well reports
- Handling of optical fibres in preparation for data acquisition (stripping, splicing, testing etc)
- Carrying out recommended equipment test and verification procedures
- Participating in field installations of fibre optic cables
- Performing acquisition system QC and troubleshooting / corrective actions when necessary
- Preparing supporting documentation for all aspects of project execution including operations manuals, hook-up drawings, system diagrams, installation & commissioning procedures, H&S documentation, etc
Maintaining all project folders and all supporting documentation
- Providing feedback and communication for all internal and external clients, presenting data in technical meetings and reporting to project teams and management
- Liaising with suppliers of equipment and contractors to both external and internal clients
- Coordinating client support for maintenance, troubleshooting and installation upgrades
- Supporting ongoing in-house projects, installations and equipment manufacturing
We are looking for an energetic and dedicated individual, ideally with (but not necessarily requiring) experience in the energy industry (petroleum, renewable, electrical power) and fibre optics in particular. The candidate should have the ability to work on their own initiative while also contributing to team-oriented projects. The position will require the candidate to be versatile, flexible, hands-on, and a self-starter.
The candidate must possess the self-confidence to challenge actions that may compromise the performance of Silixa’s technology. As the role will require the candidate to undertake a range of industry HSE training & certification before they can be deployed to the field, they must fulfil the medical requirements required to obtain the required certifications.
The candidate should have a relevant engineering or similar technical qualification. However, candidates with extensive experience as a field engineer or working with fibre optics will be also considered.
Required (can be waived if relevant experience can be demonstrated)
- Minimum of an HNC in an engineering or scientific discipline
- Experience of field installation of fibre optic cables
- Experience as a wireline engineer
- Hands-on experience of fibre optic sensing systems and knowledge of distributed fibre optics measurements
- Knowledge of seismic acquisition and basic data processing
Additionally, the candidate must :
- Be physically able to meet industry certification requirements
A medical with a Silixa approved doctor will be required prior to any offer of employment
- Have strong written and spoken communications skills
- Be capable of creating technical reports and papers
- Have proven problem solving and analysis ability
Due to the nature of the business, we will require the candidate to be in a position to obtain medical certificates for a variety of job locations, including offshore. Any job offer will be dependent upon the candidate undertaking an appropriate medical at Silixa’s expense to ensure their ability to undertake this role.
An attractive and competitive package is being offered. This will include private medical insurance, group life assurance and an attractive pension plan.
Candidates are advised to email an up to date resume stating the job role they are interested in to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Silixa promotes equal opportunity in employment