Active distributed temperature measurements provide information about thermal transport at all locations along a fibre optic cable. This insight can be crucial for monitoring fluid presence and flow in environments with limited natural thermal gradients, or for characterizing thermal properties in-situ.
The system consists of:
- Silixa’s ULTIMA™ or XT-DTS™ distributed temperature sensor (DTS) to monitor the temperature response at all cable locations, continuously in time.
- Heat pulse control unit to generate heat pulses of desired power along hybrid/composite fibre optic cable in a controlled, flexible and safe manner.
- Control software to operate via a single interface both the heat pulse control unit and the DTS
- Interpretation software to perform basic processing of the DTS data collected during a heat pulse, in near real time.
- Hybrid/composite cable with optical fibre for temperature measurements and electrical conductors to enable heating
HPS integrates the heat pulse control unit with Silixa’s ULTIMA DTS or XT-DTS, control and interpretation software, and customized cable solutions to provide a complete A‑DTS monitoring solution.
A shared interface operates both the DTS and heat pulse control unit to provide precise and harmonized measurement control. The total measurement time, frequency, and intensity of the heating cycles can be set to meet the measurement requirements of the installation.
It does so by delivering actionable information derived from continuous distributed acoustic measurements that enable operators to manage and monitor water dependency and process challenges in compliance with Environmental, Social and Governance (ESG) business sustainability initiatives.